Portobello mushroom caps are the creative "crust" in this upscale spin on pizza. I also cut the caps into wedges and serve them as an appetizer.—Lisa Scheevel, LeRoy, Minnesota
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 large portobello mushrooms (4 to 4-1/2 inches), stems removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Thinly sliced fresh basil leaves, optional
- Place mushrooms, stem side down, on a greased baking sheet; drizzle
- with oil. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until tender,
- turning once.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the pizza sauce, pepper, onion, mushrooms, Parmesan cheese
- and garlic. Divide among mushrooms; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Broil 2-3 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is
- melted. Sprinkle with basil if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 pizza equals 274 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 699 mg sodium,