Portobello mushrooms are a tasty meatless option, especially tucked inside a bun with melty cheese. — Sally Lauf, West Deptford, New Jersey
- 4 large portobello mushrooms (4 to 4-1/2 inches)
- 4 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped plum tomatoes
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- Preheat broiler. Remove and discard stems from mushrooms; with a spoon, scrape and remove gills. Brush caps with 4 teaspoons oil. Place in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan, stem side down. Broil 4 in. from heat 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix tomatoes, cheese, Italian seasoning and remaining oil. Remove mushrooms from broiler; turn over and fill caps with tomato mixture.
- Broil 4-6 minutes longer or until mushrooms are tender and cheese is melted. Serve on buns. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Portobello Pizza Burgers in Taste of Home February/March 2014
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Portobello Pizza Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review