- 5 cups thinly sliced halved onions
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons brandy, optional
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup white wine or additional vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 13 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 13 slices provolone cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions and thyme in 1 tablespoon butter until onions are tender, about 8 minutes. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, over low heat for 20 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove onions to a bowl.
- In the same pan, melt remaining butter. Add mushrooms, brandy if desired and garlic; saute for 1 minute. Return onions to pan. Add broth, wine and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until onions are very tender.
- Meanwhile, place French bread slices on a baking sheet; top each slice with provolone cheese. Broil 4-6 inches from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Discard thyme sprigs from soup; top soup with cheese-topped bread. Yield: 13 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Portobello Mushroom Onion Soup
"this mushrooms are a great addition to the oinion soup. makes it taste meaty and give the soup a hearty flavor."
"Made this soup tonight for my teenage daughter - she LOVED it. I cut the recipe in half and substituted cooking sherry for the brandy and I used chicken broth and vegetable soup mix. The extra veges in the soup mix added more flavor and texture. Great recipe if you have the time to make it. I will keep this one in my recipe box."