Portobello Melts Recipe
"We are always looking for satisfying vegetarian meals, and this one is packed with flavor," assures Amy Smalley of Morehead, Kentucky. "These melts are especially delicious in the summer with home-grown tomatoes."
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 large portobello mushroom (1/2 pound)
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 4 tomato slices
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 slices Italian bread (1 inch thick)
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the oil, vinegar, salt and dried basil. Remove and discard stems from mushrooms. Add mushroom caps to marinade; let stand for 5 minutes. Drain, reserving the marinade.
- 2. Place mushrooms, cap side down, on a greased broiler pan. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 3 minutes. Turn and broil 3-4 minutes longer or until tender. Top with basil leaves, tomato and cheese. Broil for 1 minute or until cheese is melted.
- 3. Place bread on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with reserved marinade. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1 minute or until lightly toasted. Top with mushrooms. Yield: 2 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC