Portobello Melts Recipe
We're always looking for satisfying vegetarian meals, and this one tops the list. These melts are especially delicious in the summer when we have tons of homegrown tomatoes. —Amy Smalley, Morehead, Kentucky
- 2 large portobello mushrooms (4 ounces each), stems removed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 tomato slices
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 slices Italian bread (1 inch thick)
- Chopped fresh basil
- 1. Preheat broiler. Place mushrooms in a shallow bowl. Mix oil, vinegar, salt and dried basil; brush onto both sides of mushrooms. Let stand 5 minutes.
- 2. Place mushrooms on a greased rack of a broiler pan, stem side down; reserve remaining marinade. Broil mushrooms 4 in. from heat until tender, 3-4 minutes per side. Top stem sides with tomato and cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, about 1 minute.
- 3. Place bread on a baking sheet; brush with reserved marinade. Broil 4 in. from heat until lightly toasted, 45-60 seconds. Top with mushrooms. Sprinkle with chopped basil. Yield: 2 servings.
1 open-faced sandwich: 460 calories, 35g fat (7g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 934mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Reviews for Portobello Melts
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC