Portobello Melts Recipe
We are always looking for satisfying vegetarian meals, and this one is packed with flavor. These melts are especially delicious in the summer with home-grown tomatoes. —Amy Smalley, Morehead, Kentucky
- 2 large portobello mushrooms (4 ounces each), stems removed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 tomato slices
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 slices Italian bread (1 inch thick)
- Chopped fresh basil
- 1. Preheat broiler. Place mushrooms in a shallow bowl. Mix oil, vinegar, salt and dried basil; brush onto both sides of mushrooms. Let stand 5 minutes.
- 2. Place mushrooms on a greased rack of a broiler pan, stem side down; reserve remaining marinade. Broil mushrooms 4 in. from heat until tender, 3-4 minutes per side. Top stem sides with tomato and cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, about 1 minute.
- 3. Place bread on a baking sheet; brush with reserved marinade. Broil 4 in. from heat until lightly toasted, 45-60 seconds. Top with mushrooms. Sprinkle with chopped basil. Yield: 2 servings.
1 open-faced sandwich: 460 calories, 35g fat (7g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 934mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Reviews for Portobello Melts
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC