"We are always looking for satisfying vegetarian meals, and this one is packed with flavor," assures Amy Smalley of Morehead, Kentucky. "These melts are especially delicious in the summer with home-grown tomatoes."
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 large portobello mushroom (1/2 pound)
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 4 tomato slices
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 slices Italian bread (1 inch thick)
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the oil, vinegar, salt and dried basil. Remove and discard stems from mushrooms. Add mushroom caps to marinade; let stand for 5 minutes. Drain, reserving the marinade.
- Place mushrooms, cap side down, on a greased broiler pan. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 3 minutes. Turn and broil 3-4 minutes longer or until tender. Top with basil leaves, tomato and cheese. Broil for 1 minute or until cheese is melted.
- Place bread on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with reserved marinade. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1 minute or until lightly toasted. Top with mushrooms. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Portobello Melts in Quick Cooking March/April 2005, p52
Reviews for Portobello Melts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review