Portobello Melts Recipe
"We are always looking for satisfying vegetarian meals, and this one is packed with flavor," assures Amy Smalley of Morehead, Kentucky. "These melts are especially delicious in the summer with home-grown tomatoes."
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 large portobello mushroom (1/2 pound)
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 4 tomato slices
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 slices Italian bread (1 inch thick)
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the oil, vinegar, salt and dried basil. Remove and discard stems from mushrooms. Add mushroom caps to marinade; let stand for 5 minutes. Drain, reserving the marinade.
- Place mushrooms, cap side down, on a greased broiler pan. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 3 minutes. Turn and broil 3-4 minutes longer or until tender. Top with basil leaves, tomato and cheese. Broil for 1 minute or until cheese is melted.
- Place bread on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with reserved marinade. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1 minute or until lightly toasted. Top with mushrooms. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Portobello Melts in Quick Cooking March/April 2005, p52
Reviews for Portobello Melts(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Mushroom Sandwiches >
- Mushroom Vegetarian Recipes >
- Sandwiches >
- Simple Quick Recipes >
- Simple Sandwich Recipes >
- Simple Vegetarian Recipes >
- Super Bowl Party Dinners >
- Super Bowl Party Recipes >