Portobello Burgers with Pear-Walnut Mayonnaise Recipe
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 medium pear, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chopped walnuts
- 4 slices onion
- 6 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the oil, vinegar, garlic and thyme. Add mushrooms; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
- 2. In a small skillet over medium heat, cook pear in oil and lemon juice until tender. Transfer to a small food processor; cover and process until blended. Stir in mayonnaise and walnuts. Refrigerate until serving.
- 3. Drain mushrooms and discard marinade. Grill mushrooms, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until tender. Top with onion and cheese. Grill 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve on buns with mayonnaise mixture and arugula. Yield: 4 servings.
1 burger equals 509 calories, 33 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 832 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.