- and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil in batches. Remove and set aside.
- Add mushrooms to the pan; saute until tender. Return beef to the
- pan. Add the wine, broth, thyme and rosemary, stirring to loosen
- browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until beef is
- tender. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir
- into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter
- until tender. Add rice and cranberries; cook and stir for 3-4
- minutes or until rice is lightly browned. Add the broth. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice
- is tender. Fluff with a fork. Serve with stew. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup stew with 1/2 cup rice equals 330 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 324 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.