"I whipped up this recipe one winter evening when my husband and I wanted something hearty but nutrtious," shares Tina Constantin, Bentonville, Arkansas. "Vegetarians can simply omit the chicken and it will still be a great, filling dinner."
- 3/4 cup diced sweet onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 3 tablespoons prepared pesto, divided
- 3 ounces uncooked angel hair pasta
- 2 large portobello mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 2 tablespoons shredded Romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in 1 tablespoon oil until tender. Add half of the garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Transfer to a small bowl; set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until juices run clear. Remove from the heat. Add 1 tablespoon pesto; toss to coat. Stir in half of the onion mixture. Transfer to a bowl; keep warm.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, add mushrooms and butter to the skillet; cover and cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat to low. Add spinach; cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or until wilted. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon vinegar and remaining onion mixture; cook and stir until heated through. Keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 tablespoon pesto and remaining vinegar and garlic. Cook and stir until heated through.
- Drain pasta; toss with remaining oil and pesto. On two plates, form pasta into a circle, leaving a hole in the center. Place mushrooms with spinach mixture in the center; top with chicken mixture. Drizzle with garlic pesto mixture. Sprinkle with Romano and Parmesan. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Portobello Angel Hair Nests in Cooking for 2 Spring 2007, p39
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Portobello Angel Hair Nests
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review