This fragrant tart is comfort with a capital “C,” especially with fresh rosemary or thyme. We pair it with a salad for dinner or an egg for breakfast. —Robin Wagganer, San Jose, California
Recommended: 33 Bright Winter Salads
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled goat cheese or Gorgonzola cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. Unfold puff pastry onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Using a sharp knife, score a 1/2" border along edges of pastry. Within border, prick pastry with a fork. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven. If center has puffed, flatten gently with a spatula.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan. To same pan, add remaining oil and the onion; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Return mushrooms to pan; stir in salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs until blended; stir in cheese. Pour into crust. Top evenly with mushroom mixture. Bake 13-15 minutes or just until cheese mixture is set. If desired, sprinkle with rosemary. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Portobello & Onion Tart in Simple & Delicious June/July 2016
Reviews for Portobello & Onion Tart
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 31, 2016
"My husband and I loved this. I had some leftover fresh oregano and thyme and used that instead of the rosemary. I think the rosemary would be fantastic but you could easily switch it for other fresh herbs if you have those instead."