Winning an award with this recipe in 1948 is probably the highlight of my grandmother's long life, with a close second being the celebration of her 100th birthday recently. My mother prepared this dish for Grandmother's party, and it was just as delicious as it was when the judges picked it years back.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. YIELD:4-6 servings
- 1 pound ground fully cooked ham
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes
- 1 to 3 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 bacon strips, halved lengthwise
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple slices, drained and halved horizontally
- 1. In a bowl, combine the ham, egg, relish and mustard. Shape 1/3 cupfuls into eight patties the same diameter as the pineapple rings. Combine the sweet potatoes, orange peel, salt and pepper. Shape 1/4 cupfuls into eight patties the same diameter as pineapple rings. On a lightly greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking sheet, assemble in the following order: Cross 2 strips of bacon, 1 pineapple slice, 1 ham patty, 1 sweet potato patty and 1 pineapple slice. Fold bacon ends up and over tops; secure with a toothpick. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until bacon is crisp. Remove toothpicks; serve immediately. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (2 each) equals 545 calories, 33 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 1,513 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 20 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC