- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (5 to 5-1/2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons each dried celery flakes, basil, parsley flakes, oregano and rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1-3/4 to 2 cups chicken broth
- 16 to 20 hard rolls, split
- Applesauce, optional
- 1. Cut about five deep slits across top of roast. Combine seasonings; stuff some into the slits. Reserve remaining seasoning mixture. Tie meat securely and place in a roasting pan. Pour 1-3/4 cups broth around roast. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 170° and meat is very tender. Measure drippings, adding additional broth to make 1-1/4 cups; set aside. Remove tie from meat. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; trim and discard fat. Place meat in a large saucepan. Add reserved drippings and seasoning mixture; mix well. Heat through. Serve on hard rolls. Top meat with applesauce if desired. Yield: 16-20 servings (6-2/3 cups meat).
1 serving (5 ounces) equals 419 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 129 mg cholesterol, 745 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 41 g protein.
Reviews for Porkettas
"EXCELLENT. The smell and taste is to die for. I also added some dill seed. I will make again and again. Very easy to do and you can make it ahead if you want and even freeze in batches because it makes alot."