- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (5 to 5-1/2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons each dried celery flakes, basil, parsley flakes, oregano and rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1-3/4 to 2 cups chicken broth
- 16 to 20 hard rolls, split
- Applesauce, optional
- 1. Cut about five deep slits across top of roast. Combine seasonings; stuff some into the slits. Reserve remaining seasoning mixture. Tie meat securely and place in a roasting pan. Pour 1-3/4 cups broth around roast. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 170° and meat is very tender. Measure drippings, adding additional broth to make 1-1/4 cups; set aside. Remove tie from meat. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; trim and discard fat. Place meat in a large saucepan. Add reserved drippings and seasoning mixture; mix well. Heat through. Serve on hard rolls. Top meat with applesauce if desired. Yield: 16-20 servings (6-2/3 cups meat).
5 ounce-weight: 419 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 745mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 41g protein.
Reviews for Porkettas
"EXCELLENT. The smell and taste is to die for. I also added some dill seed. I will make again and again. Very easy to do and you can make it ahead if you want and even freeze in batches because it makes alot."