Pork Vegetable Hero Recipe
Tender pork, red and green peppers and melted mozzarella cheese come together in this yummy sandwich sent in by Jane Ulness of Edmonds, Washington. TIP: “To make it more substantial, sometimes I process the hallowed-out bread pieces and add the crumbs and some Italian seasoning to the meat and vegetables,” Jane says.
- 1 loaf French bread (1 pound)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds pork tenderloin, cubed
- 1 cup julienned green pepper
- 1 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups sliced plum tomatoes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cut the top fourth off loaf of bread; carefully hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell (save removed bread for another use). Set bread shell aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil. Add pork, peppers, celery, onion, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper; cook and stir until pork is browned and vegetables are tender. Add broth; simmer until reduced. Spoon into bread shell; top with tomatoes and cheese. Replace bread top.
- Wrap in a large piece of heavy-duty foil; seal tightly. Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Pork Vegetable Hero in Quick Cooking September/October 2005, p58
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Pork Vegetable Hero
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review