Pork-Stuffed Eggplant Recipe
My father loved to grow eggplant in his wonderful garden. Through the years. Mother learned to use it often in her cooking. We take pride in keeping this traditional fare in the family.
- 1 large eggplant (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- Cut off stem of eggplant; cut eggplant in half lengthwise. Scoop out and reserve center, leaving a 1/2-in shell. Steam shells for 3-5 minutes or just until tender; drain. Cube reserved eggplant. In a saucepan, cook eggplant cubes in boiling water for 6-8 minutes or until tender; drain and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook pork until no longer pink; drain. Add eggplant cubes, egg, bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Fill shells; place in a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Pour tomato sauce over eggplant. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Pork-Stuffed Eggplant in Country Pork 1996, p73
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Pork-Stuffed Eggplant(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review