- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown pork in oil; drain. Stir
- in tomatoes, 1 cup broth, onion and seasonings; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 60-70 minutes or until pork is
- tender. Combine flour and remaining broth until smooth; gradually
- add to stew, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for
- 2 minutes. Remove bay leaves. For dumplings, in a bowl, combine
- flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper. Beat egg, milk and
- oil; add to flour mixture and mix until just moistened. Stir in
- corn. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls into simmering stew. Cover and
- cook for 10-12 minutes or until dumplings are tender. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 469 calories, 20 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 125 mg cholesterol, 1,128 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 37 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer