Pork Spiedis Recipe
Spiedis (pronounced "speedeez") are a type of grilled meat sandwich considered a local specialty. This recipe is my own, but there are many variations in our area. In nearby Binghamton, Spiedi-Fest is held on August, featuring this delicious dish made of all different kinds of meat. Thousands of people attend. I hope you enjoy my pork version. -Beatrice Riddell, Chenango Bridge, New York
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Pepper to taste
- 4 pounds pork tenderloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 12 slices Italian bread
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first six ingredients; add pork. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade. Thread pork on small metal or soaked wooden skewers. Grill or broil for 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally, until meat is no longer pink.
- To serve, wrap a slice of bread around about five pork cubes and pull off skewer. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Pork Spiedis in Taste of Home August/September 1995, p39
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Pork Spiedis(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 4, 2013
Very good! I ended up not cutting the meat into pieces, but it still tasted amazing! I will definitely be making it again.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- BBQ Pork Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Sandwich Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Grilled Pork Recipes >
- Grilling Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Carb Sandwich Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Sandwiches >
- Make Ahead Dinner Recipes >
- Make-Ahead Recipes >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >
- Pork Main Dishes >