Pork Sausage Hominy
The first time I prepared this recipe, it won first place in a cooking contest sponsored by a local sausage company. It's a very lovely, inexpensive and tasty dish to offer guests.
6-7 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) hominy, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 small head lettuce, shredded
- 1 package (10-1/2 ounces) corn chips, broken
- 1 small green pepper, sliced
- 1 small sweet red pepper, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- In a skillet, cook sausage and onion until sausage is not longer pink
- and onion is tender; drain. Add hominy; cook and stir over low heat
- for 5 minutes. Add stewed tomatoes, seasonings and 1 cup cheese.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. To serve, arrange
- lettuce on a large serving platter; sprinkle with corn chips. Top
- with meat mixture. Garnish with pepper, tomatoes and remaining
- cheese. Yield: 6-7 servings.