- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth, divided
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Hot mashed potatoes, optional
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain; set aside. Cut roast in half. Brown meat in drippings on all sides.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Brown onion in the drippings. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the jalapeno, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir in 1/2 cup chicken broth, the orange juice and bacon; pour over roast.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-1/2 to 5 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove pork and onion to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Combine flour and remaining broth until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with pork and mashed potatoes if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Pork Roast with Twist of Orange
"Haven't made this yet, but I know from the combo of ingredients that it will be great! I don't see "cornstarch" even mentioned in this recipe, so what is everyone talking about? Just follow the recipe using the ingredients listed.....duh!"
"It is always nice to have slow cooker recipes though ones that cook 4-1/2-5 hr are difficult for the working woman who is gone form home longer than that to me. I would cut the chili powder down as someone else suggested to me that over powered the orange taste. Our gravy didn't thicken as much as it appears in the photo but it was still good. I think my family enjoys the Parmesan Pork Roast recipe here (TOH) http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Parmesan-Pork-Roast) over this one so we will stick with that recipe. We had the Sauteed Squash Medley (Taste of Home) along with Sweet and Savory stuffing (TOH) and for desert Chocolate Pecan Caramel Cheesecake (TOH)"
"I thought when I read the recipe that it was odd that it had chili powder and OJ together. But it was so so surprisingly good! I used a pork tenderloin for a leaner cut of meat and it turned out great. We ate with Orange Rice Medley, but I think the next time I would serve with mash taters"
"Very Good. I was confused when the ingredients asked for chicken broth and flour and directions state combine cornstarch and water. Being a new cook, this was very confusing at first. But the meal was well worth it."
"This recipe sounds great but I am bad with how much cornstarch to use. Can someone clear this up for me? Thanks."
"Pork roast with a twist of orange is absolutely delicious and one my family makes when we have all the ingredients. We love it and will be keeping this recipe, as it's so simple and so easy to eat :)"
"This pork roast is excellent. I don't know why it received only one star but I would rate it all five stars. I didn't put in the full amount of chili powder, maybe 2 teaspoons, because my young grandchildren woould be eating also. The gravy was simple to make and very good. I have made this several times already and will be making it today for Valentine's Day dinner for the Family. Excellent choice for a slow cooked meal."