Pork Roast with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy Recipe
- 1 boneless whole pork loin roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- 2 cups refrigerated mashed potatoes
- 1. Cut roast in half; transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the broth, red pepper, onion, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and seasonings; pour over pork. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Remove pork; cut some into cubes measuring 2-1/2 cups and save for another use. (Keep remaining pork warm.)
- 3. For gravy, strain cooking juices and skim fat; pour 1 cup into a small saucepan. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a small microwave-safe bowl, cook potatoes on high for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Let meat stand for 10 minutes before slicing; serve with potatoes and gravy. Yield: 4 servings.
4-1/2 ounces cooked pork with 1/2 cup mashed potatoes and 1/4 cup gravy equals 370 calories, 14 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 91 mg cholesterol, 762 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 34 g protein.