Meet the Cook: Since I was in 4-H, I've been an avid cook. This recipe's one my mother-in-law and I developed together. The topping also goes great with pork chops, lean sausage balls or patties and ham. My husband and I have seven children, 15 grandchildren and one on the way. Gardening's our favorite pastime. -Paula Neal, Dolores, Colorado
Recommended: 23 Apple Slow Cooker Recipes
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 jar (10 ounces) apple jelly
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup chopped peeled tart fresh or dried apples
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh or dried cranberries
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Place roast on a rack in a shallow roasting pan and rub with poultry seasoning. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160°.
- For topping, combine the apple jelly, juice and cardamom in a saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat until smooth. Add apples and cranberries; cook until tender, about 5-10 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into apple mixture. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove roast from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with apple topping. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2 cups topping).
Originally published as Pork Roast with Apple Topping in Country Woman September/October 1997, p29
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Pork Roast with Apple Topping
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review