I'm in my 70's and have spent many happy hours in the kitchen. I most often cook from scratch, but I can't resist these delectable pasties that call for frozen has browns.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 cups frozen hash browns, thawed
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 pita breads (6 inches), halved
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Crumble sausage into a large skillet; cook over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the hash browns, carrot, onion, salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese. Spoon into pitas.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet; brush outside of pitas with butter. Bake at 400° for 4-5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Pork Pocket Pasties in Country Pork 1996, p29
Reviews for Pork Pocket Pasties
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 29, 2013
"Delicious! I will make in a pie crust next time, but that is just because I LOVE pie crusts! :) Very easy, very good, yum!"