Pork Loin with Potatoes Recipe
Phyl Broich-Wessling of Garner, Iowa writes, "I love to cook and have friends and family for dinner. Onions, garlic, potatoes and herbs from my garden go into this tasty oven meal."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + marinating Bake: 2-3/4 hours + standing YIELD:8-10 servings
- 1 bone-in pork loin roast (5 pounds)
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ONION MUSHROOM GRAVY:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1-1/4 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cut slits in top of roast; insert garlic slices. Combine the oil, paprika, pepper and thyme; rub over roast. Place in a large resealable plastic bag; seal and refrigerate the roast overnight.
- 2. Transfer roast to a shallow roasting pan. bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-3/4 hours. Meanwhile, place potatoes and salt in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until almost tender. Drain; cool slightly. Cut potatoes into quarters; arrange around roast.
- 3. Bake 45 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and potatoes are tender, basting potatoes with drippings occasionally. Remove potatoes; keep warm. Cover roast and let stand for 15 minutes before carving.
- 4. For gravy, pour drippings and loosened browned bits into a measuring cup. Skim fat, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Add water and broth to reserved drippings; set aside. In a large saucepan, saute onions and mushrooms in butter and oil until tender.
- 5. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in parsley and pepper. Serve with roast and potatoes. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (5 ounces) equals 392 calories, 17 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 292 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 35 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC