I received this recipe from a clerk at my supermarket and tried it when I was making dinner for company. My guests raved about it and told me, "You should have been a chef!"
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 pounds boneless pork loin roast
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1 medium fennel bulb, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/4 cups plus 1/4 cup apple cider, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 medium pears, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup dried figs, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, garlic powder, mustard seed and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; rub over pork. Using a sharp knife, make six to eight 1-in. slits in roast; insert garlic.
- In a large skillet, brown roast in oil on all sides. Drain. Place roast fat side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Add onion and fennel. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 145°.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring broth and 1-1/4 cups cider to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Remove pork and vegetables from oven; transfer drippings to a large saucepan. Tent roasting pan with foil. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat drippings over medium. Add reduced broth mixture. Combine flour and remaining cider until smooth; stir into pan. Add the pears, figs and apricots; cook and stir until sauce is thickened, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and remaining pepper. Slice pork; serve with sauce and vegetables. Yield: 10 servings (5-1/2 cups sauce).
Originally published as Pork Loin with Pears, Fennel and Figs in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p43
Reviews for Pork Loin with Pears, Fennel and Figs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 30, 2014
"Absolutely delicious!!! Will definitely make again and for company!!! A must try!!!"