Pork Loin Roast with Yam-Stuffed Apples Recipe
I was given this delicious pork recipe by a neighbor, and it's become a real favorite with our family! We always serve this dish for special occasions.
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 boneless whole Pork Loin roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 8 to 10 large tart apples
- 1 can (24 ounces) sweet potatoes, drained and liquid reserved
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted, divided
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Combine sage, pepper and 1 teaspoon salt; rub over pork roast. Place roast, fat side up, on rack in open pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° 2-1/2 to 3-1/4 hours or until meat thermometer reads 160°.
- Meanwhile, core each apple, removing enough pulp to make 1-1/4-in. opening. Reserve pulp. Mash sweet potatoes; combine with 1/4 cup reserved yam liquid, apple pulp, brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, cinnamon and half the almonds.
- In saucepan, heat butter and maple syrup until butter is melted. Drizzle half the butter mixture into apple cavities. Fill apples with yam mixture; garnish with remaining almonds. Place apples around roast or in separate baking dish, timing so that apples will bake 45-60 minutes and be done at the same time as the roast. Baste apple occasionally with remaining butter mixture. To serve, arrange roast and stuffed apples on heated platter. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Pork Loin Roast with Yam-Stuffed Apples in Country October/November 1990, p47
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Pork Loin Roast with Yam-Stuffed Apples(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Almond Recipes >
- Apple Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- German Dinner Recipes >
- German Recipes >
- German Side Dishes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >
- Pork Main Dishes >
- Pork Recipes >
- Pork Roast Recipes >
- Potato Side Dishes >
- Roast Recipes >