- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 6 pork rib or loin chops (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Additional salt and pepper, optional
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- Paprika and minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown the pork chops on both sides in oil; sprinkle with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer potatoes and onion. Pour broth mixture over layers. Place pork chops on top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour; uncover and bake 30 minutes longer or until meat and potatoes are tender. If desired, sprinkle with paprika and parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Pork Chops with Scalloped Potatoes
"This is great! Loved how the pork came out and the potatoes cooked perfectly with a gravy sauce."
"We really liked this. Great flavor and very tasty."
"This recipe was a hit with my family and easy to prepare"
"This recipe was a favorite of our six children when they were growing up. Easy to prepare & easy clean-up. I doubled the recipe as they got older & added sliced carrots to the potatoes to stretch it a bit. Our family likes pork chops with barbeque sauce, so we had plenty of flavor!"
"Decided to make this recipe and read reviews prior to making it...I doubled the gravy...everything came out so tender but it was so, so, so BLAND even with extra seasoning to gravy and pork chops ...Not sure I'll make this again"
"This recipe is absolutely delicious!! I am not a big cook, but during a rare week off for me, I spent a lot of time on the Taste of Home website searching for recipes I felt I could handle. I came across this one and had everything I needed to make it. I reduced the cooking time a little because the pork chops I had were boneless and thin cut, but everything was tender and delicious. Even my teenage son, who is a pretty picky eater, loved it!! I would definitely recommend giving this one a try."
"I had some thick boneless pork chops in the fridge so I searched TOH. I wanted something I could pop in the oven. These were fantastic. Will definitely make again."
"The very best, bar none! Will make it MANY times more, thanks Bernice."
"With a few little ones running around and being very pregnant this was easy to make and tasted great. Thank you for helping me out Bernice :)"
"I follow this recipe to the tee making a double batch of the gravy. My four picky children all eat this and my even pickier husband usually has seconds. It has become a staple in our monthly food rotations. Something we all look forward to eating. Yummy!!"