- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 6 pork rib or loin chops (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Additional salt and pepper, optional
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- Paprika and minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown the pork chops on both sides in oil; sprinkle with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer potatoes and onion. Pour broth mixture over layers. Place pork chops on top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour; uncover and bake 30 minutes longer or until meat and potatoes are tender. If desired, sprinkle with paprika and parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Pork Chops with Scalloped Potatoes
"It's the first time that I try to prepare something so easy, It turned delicious and even my 3 yo son enjoyed."
"Prepping takes a bit of time but the meal was good. Only fixed four pork chops because there are only two of us. Potatoes were better the second night warmed up with the remaining two chops."
"I'm thinking 1 hour is too long to cook these chops. I think I would just brown the chops and put them on top of my scalloped potatoes that have been in the oven for awhile and let everything finish at the same time."
"The gravy was bland..no flavor. I added some sharp cheddar to the broth mixture and it made it much tastier. More like a scalloped potato."
"This recipe claims the prep is 25 mins it has been over 1 hour and 20 mins and i have only managed to chop my potatoes, make the gravy which wasnt enough to cover my meat so ill be making another batch and cook 1 pork chop will never make again i only made 4 pork chops because i was so hunrgry and felt like passing out didnt have the energy to make the other 4 chops. It took 1 hour and 15 mins to bake on 350 for an hour then 375 for 15 mins. The flavor was delicious og the gravy i added some garlic in it an my potatoes were perfect but my chops were dry tasting. My grandma used to bake her chops with potatoes and i was craving it but this is definently not my grandmas way of making it her chops were very juicy and delicious and the gravy was more liquid like but she is passed so the recipe is still a mystery ??but this helped curbed that craving. I do suggest not adding salt to this dish because the chicken broth already has alot of salt in it!"
"Very good base recipe. The gravy was tasty and easy. I made it in the crock pot and cooked it for 4 hours on low. The gravy was thinner than it would have been, but we didn't mind, and it kept the pork moist. I added a lot more salt and pepper, and some rosemary. It needed the extra flavor. We served it with broccoli."
"This is great! Loved how the pork came out and the potatoes cooked perfectly with a gravy sauce."
"We really liked this. Great flavor and very tasty."
"This recipe was a hit with my family and easy to prepare"
"This recipe was a favorite of our six children when they were growing up. Easy to prepare & easy clean-up. I doubled the recipe as they got older & added sliced carrots to the potatoes to stretch it a bit. Our family likes pork chops with barbeque sauce, so we had plenty of flavor!"