Pork Chops with Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
Mom always managed to put a delicious hearty meal on the table for us and for our farmhands. This all-in-one main dish has a comforting flavor. -Bernice Morris, Marshfield, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours YIELD:6 servings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 6 pork rib or loin chops (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Additional salt and pepper, optional
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- Paprika and minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat and set aside. In a large skillet, brown pork chops in oil; sprinkle with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- 2. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer potatoes and onion. Pour broth mixture over layers. Place pork chops on top.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour; uncover and bake 30 minutes longer or until meat and potatoes are tender. If desired, sprinkle with paprika and parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC