- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 6 pork rib or loin chops (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Additional salt and pepper, optional
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- Paprika and minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown the pork chops on both sides in oil; sprinkle with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer potatoes and onion. Pour broth mixture over layers. Place pork chops on top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour; uncover and bake 30 minutes longer or until meat and potatoes are tender. If desired, sprinkle with paprika and parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Pork Chops with Scalloped Potatoes
Sort By :
"Lovely dish. Next time I'll use a little less butter. My almost-4-year old also enjoyed it!"
"My dad made this when I was younger. Never really knew how he made it. It is one of my favorites!"
"wonderful! I sprinkled the paprika in the sauce mixture."
"Made this a one pot meal by browning the pork chops in a 12" cast iron skillet then removing them to a plate (I only had 4 - 1" loin chops). Next I made the gravy scraping the bits from browning the pork chops. Had read reviews and put the pork chops back in the gravy followed by the onions and potatoes. Pulled the pork chops back to the top during the last 30 minutes. Perfect! Excellent meal and hardly any dishes."