Pork Chops with Onion Gravy Recipe
- 4 boneless pork loin chops (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 envelope pork gravy mix
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup water
- 1. Sprinkle pork chops with pepper and salt. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chops with onion in oil for 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- 2. Add broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
In a small bowl, whisk the gravy mix, garlic powder and water. Pour over pork. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
Freeze option: Cool pork and gravy. Freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through slowly in a covered skillet, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 4 servings.
1 pork chop with 3 tablespoons gravy equals 210 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 528 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.