Pork Chops with Herbed Gravy Recipe
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Dash garlic powder
- 2 boneless pork loin chops (6 ounces each and 3/4 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 1. In a resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, paprika and garlic powder. Set aside 2 teaspoons flour mixture for gravy. Add chops to remaining flour mixture; shake to coat.
- 2. In a skillet, brown pork chops in oil for 4 minutes on each side. Transfer to a greased shallow 1-qt. baking dish. Add onion to skillet; cook and stir until tender. Stir in reserved flour mixture until blended; cook and stir for 1 minute or until lightly browned. Gradually stir in water. Add the bouillon, basil and thyme. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over pork.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with tomato. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer inserted in pork reads 160° and tomato is heated through. Yield: 2 servings.
One serving with 1/3 cup gravy equals 324 calories, 15 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 107 mg cholesterol, 666 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 37 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.