Pork Chops and Sauerkraut Recipe
My mother made this dish years ago, when she was a young girl living in Germany. Later on, she continued to make it for our family. Today when I cook it, the wonderful aroma of sauerkraut fills the house, bringing back many warm memories for me. Mother usually served plain boiled potatoes with this dish, but for a special treat she'd serve steamed dumplings.
- 4 bone-in pork loin chops (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 red apple, chopped
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, optional
- 1. In a skillet, brown pork chops in oil; drain. Stir in the onion, broth, caraway seeds, pepper and celery seed. Cover and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until tender. Add sauerkraut and apple.
- 2. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Before serving, sprinkle with bacon if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC