Pork Chops and Kraut
"I love sauerkraut, so this is one of my favorite dinners," notes Myra Innes of Auburn, Kansas. She browns pork chops in a skillet, simmers them with a nicely seasoned sauerkraut mixture, then stirs in sour cream for a fast finishing touch.
4 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 4 bone-in pork loin chops (1 inch thick)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 to 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Sprinkle pork chops with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown
- chops on both sides in oil. Add onion and garlic. Combine the
- sauerkraut, broth, caraway and paprika; spoon over chops. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until a
- meat thermometer reads 160°.
- Remove pork and keep warm. Sprinkle flour over sauerkraut; cook and
- stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream. Serve
- with pork. Yield: 4 servings.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as