"I love sauerkraut, so this is one of my favorite dinners," notes Myra Innes of Auburn, Kansas. She browns pork chops in a skillet, simmers them with a nicely seasoned sauerkraut mixture, then stirs in sour cream for a fast finishing touch.
- 4 bone-in pork loin chops (1 inch thick)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 to 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Sprinkle pork chops with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown chops on both sides in oil. Add onion and garlic. Combine the sauerkraut, broth, caraway and paprika; spoon over chops. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°.
- Remove pork and keep warm. Sprinkle flour over sauerkraut; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream. Serve with pork. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Pork Chops and Kraut in Quick Cooking May/June 2002, p50
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Pork Chops and Kraut
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 3, 2011
"An excellent variation onmore traditional pork and sauerkraut recipes that is good for smaller meals. The sour cream tempers the sourness just a bit."