Pork Chops and Beans Recipe
- 4 pork loin chops (1/2 inch thick)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained or 1-3/4 cups frozen lima beans
- 1. Sprinkle pork chops with salt if desired and pepper. In a skillet, brown chops in oil; transfer chops to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings in the skillet; saute onions and garlic until tender. Stir in chili sauce, brown sugar and mustard. Pour over chops. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours. Stir in beans. Cover and cook 1 to 1-1/2 hours longer or until meat juices run clear and beans are heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (prepared with frozen lima beans and without salt) equals 427 calories, 10 g fat (0 saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 564 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 14 g fiber, 36 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 lean meat, 3 starch, 1 vegetable.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.