Pork Chop Barley Bake Recipe
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 6 bone-in pork loin chops (1 inch thick and 7 ounces each)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Orange slices and fresh rosemary, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the barley, onion and celery in 3 tablespoons butter until barley is golden brown and vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minuet longer. Stir in the broth, orange juice, peel and rosemary; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35 minutes or until barley is partially cooked. Add pecans.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a large skillet, brown pork chops on both sides in remaining butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange over barley mixture.
- 3. Combine glaze ingredients; brush half over chops. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; brush with remaining glaze. Bake 15 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Garnish with orange and rosemary if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Pork Chop Barley Bake
"I can't really rate this recipe, since I made many changes,but I wanted to give my take on it. First, I dont like "sweet" meat, but I love barley. It seemed like it would go nicely with pork. I made the barley as directed, except I didnt add orange juice. I just used chicken broth in its place. I also sprinkled a little sage in while cooking to make it a little more savory. I did not make the glaze. Just baked without it. It turned out wonderful! For those who like the sweetness of oranges and marmalade on their meat, this would be a keeper. For those who dont, make it without, and it's still a keeper!"