Pork Chop Barley Bake Recipe
Dress up plain pork chops by preparing this delicious dish.—National Barley Foods Council, Mary Sullivan, Spokane, Washington
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 65 min. Bake: 1 hour YIELD:6 servings
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 6 bone-in pork loin chops (1 inch thick and 7 ounces each)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Orange slices and fresh rosemary, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the barley, onion and celery in 3 tablespoons butter until barley is golden brown and vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minuet longer. Stir in the broth, orange juice, peel and rosemary; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35 minutes or until barley is partially cooked. Add pecans.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a large skillet, brown pork chops on both sides in remaining butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange over barley mixture.
- 3. Combine glaze ingredients; brush half over chops. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; brush with remaining glaze. Bake 15 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Garnish with orange and rosemary if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC