Pork Carnitas Recipe
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast or pork loin roast (2 to 3 pounds), cut into 3-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 12 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 medium avocados, peeled and diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- Shredded lettuce
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- 1. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine pork, lime juice, salt, pepper and pepper flakes. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour; stir. Reduce heat to low and cook 8-10 hours longer or until meat is tender.
Shred pork with two forks. Spoon about 1/3 cup pork mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top with cheese, avocados, tomatoes, onion, lettuce and, if desired, cilantro. Fold in bottom and sides of tortillas. Serve with salsa.
Freeze option: Before adding toppings, freeze cooled shredded meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Serve as directed. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving equals 340 calories, 20 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 585 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Reviews for Pork Carnitas
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.