Pork Cabbage Sandwiches Recipe
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 pork tenderloin (3/4 pound), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) French bread, halved lengthwise
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray
- 1/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients, reserving 2 tablespoons; set aside. Pour remaining marinade in a large resealable plastic bag; add pork. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, sugar and pepper. Add cabbage; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate.
- 3. Hollow out 1/2 in. from top and bottom halves of bread (discard removed bread or save for another use). Spritz with butter-flavored spray. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Combine mayonnaise and reserved marinade; spread over bread.
- 4. Drain pork; discard marinade. In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook pork in batches until no longer pink. Spoon cabbage mixture onto bottom half of bread; top with pork. Replace bread top. Cut into four sandwiches. Yield: 4 servings.
1 sandwich equals 363 calories, 13 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 962 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.