Pork Burgers with Sassy Barbecue Sauce Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups fresh or frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, thawed
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup cherry preserves
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 12 center-cut bacon strips
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2-1/4 pounds ground pork
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6 ounces Havarti cheese, sliced
- 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 3 cups fresh arugula
- 1. Place the first seven ingredients in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Set aside. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.
- 2. Saute onion in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add cherry mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the pork, pepper and salt. Shape into six patties.
- 4. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear.
- 5. Top with cheese; cover and grill 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve on buns with arugula, bacon and sauce mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
1 burger: 785 calories, 41g fat (17g saturated fat), 157mg cholesterol, 1541mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 48g protein.
Reviews for Pork Burgers with Sassy Barbecue Sauce
"This is soooo good. Love the use of the cheeries. It really bumps this up giving it a rich flavor !"
"yummy!! I do not eat spicy foods normally, but this was awesome. The heat dissipated immediately."
"I have not tried these yet, but I intend to as soon as I go to the store. They sound great..I especially like the idea of the fruit in them."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.