Pork BBQ Sandwiches Recipe
- 1 bone-in pork shoulder roast (about 4 pounds)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1/3 cup steak sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 16 hoagie buns, split
- 1. In a Dutch oven, bring the pork roast, water and salt to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until the meat is very tender.
- 2. Remove meat and let stand until cool enough to handle. Discard bone; shred the meat with two forks. Skim fat from pan juices. Stir in the celery, steak sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, chili sauce, ketchup and shredded pork. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 3. In a large skillet, cook onions and sugar in oil and butter over low heat for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and tender, stirring occasionally. Serve pork and onions on buns. Yield: 16 servings.
1 each: 422 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 660mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein.
Reviews for Pork BBQ Sandwiches
"I just made this for a dinner party, Everyone loved it. This was a wonderful recipe and the sandwiches turned out so good. I am definitely using this recipe again."
"5 stars, without a DOUBT! This was so easy to make and the results were INCREDIBLE! Yummy on crusty kaiser rolls with some of the au jus poured on top. With the leftovers, one night, I made some garlic bread with mozzarella and the kids made sandwiches "with a twist"...the garlic and cheese were a nice change up for leftovers. You've GOTTA try this!"
"I recently made this recipe for family and everyone absolutely loved it. Could almost double the onions!"
"Best pulled pork I have ever had. Don't skip the caramelized onions as a topper. The onions make it! This recipe will not disappoint anyone with a taste bud in their mouth!!"