Pork BBQ is a favorite in this region, and our chef developed this tasty version. The meat is very tender, and caramelized onions add a touch of sweetness.—Julie Fella, Skaneateles, New York
- 1 bone-in pork shoulder roast (about 4 pounds)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1/3 cup steak sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 16 hoagie buns, split
- In a Dutch oven, bring the pork roast, water and salt to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until the meat is very tender.
- Remove meat and let stand until cool enough to handle. Discard bone; shred the meat with two forks. Skim fat from pan juices. Stir in the celery, steak sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, chili sauce, ketchup and shredded pork. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- In a large skillet, cook onions and sugar in oil and butter over low heat for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and tender, stirring occasionally. Serve pork and onions on buns. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Pork BBQ Sandwiches in Taste of Home October/November 2000, p51
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.
Reviews for Pork BBQ Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review