Pork and Winter Squash Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds lean boneless pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2-1/2 cups diagonally sliced carrots
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 4 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven or saucepan, brown pork in 1 tablespoon of oil. Remove from pan; drain. Heat remaining oil in the same pan over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic for 3 minutes.
- 2. Return pork to pan. Add the mushrooms, carrots, tomatoes and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 3. Add squash; simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Serve with noodles if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 298 calories, 14g fat (0 saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 393mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Pork and Winter Squash Stew
"Love the falvor combination of this dish."
"Used half pork and half chicken . Great taste. If serving in bowls and not over noodles I would add another cup of broth. Awesome. Will make again."
"So delicious on a cold New England night! I happen to have some brown rice which I chose to serve it over. I will definitely be making this again!"
"Really good winter - snow on the ground- recipe. I did add 2 more garlic cloves and baked it for 2 hours @325 adding the squash about 45 min before the end. Enjoyed by all!"
"Very good. I usually do more veggies and a bit less meat, but this is a delicious and different combination. Great over egg noodles."