Pork and Winter Squash Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds lean boneless pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2-1/2 cups diagonally sliced carrots
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 4 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven or saucepan, brown pork in 1 tablespoon of oil. Remove from pan; drain. Heat remaining oil in the same pan over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic for 3 minutes.
- 2. Return pork to pan. Add the mushrooms, carrots, tomatoes and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 3. Add squash; simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Serve with noodles if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving (prepared without added salt and served without noodles) equals 298 calories, 14 g fat (0 saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 393 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat.