My family enjoys sweet potatoes. A friend gave me this recipe a few years ago and I've made it often. It's a perfect fall meal.
- 6 pork loin chops (5 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large sweet potatoes (1-1/4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown pork chops in oil. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. In a saucepan, combine orange juice, brown sugar, mace, ginger, salt if desired and pepper; bring to a boil. pour over chops. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Peel potatoes; cut into 1/3-in. slices. Brush with butter. Turn chops. Cover with potatoes; baste with pan juices. Cover and bake 40 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Remove chops and potatoes to a serving platter; cover and keep warm. Dissolve cornstarch in water; stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour over pork chops and potatoes. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pork and Sweet Potatoes in Country Extra November 1996, p51
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Pork and Sweet Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 29, 2010
"This was okay. We thought it could have been more flavorful...might have even liked it to be a little sweeter."