This is a wintertime favorite in our home. The down-home flavors of pork and sauerkraut are complemented by potatoes and apples. The aroma is irresistible as it cooks.
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) sauerkraut, undrained
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 6 bone-in pork loin chops ( 7 ounces each)
- In a large bowl, combine the sauerkraut, onion, apples, corn syrup, bay leaves, caraway and pepper. Spoon half into a 5-qt. slow cooker; top with potatoes.
- Broil pork chops 6 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until browned; place over potatoes. Spoon remaining sauerkraut mixture over pork.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low; cook 4-5 hours longer or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pork and Sauerkraut With Potatoes in Country Pork 1996, p64
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Pork and Sauerkraut With Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review