Pork and Pinto Beans Recipe
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 to 4 pounds), halved
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Dash pepper
- 2 packages (10-1/2 ounces each) corn tortilla chips or 30 flour tortillas (10 inches)
- Chopped green onions, sliced ripe olives, chopped tomatoes, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and/or shredded lettuce
- 1. Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened.
- 2. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Place roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a bowl, combine the beans, tomatoes, carrots, celery, water, chilies, chili powder, garlic, cumin, oregano and pepper. Pour over roast. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours. Reduce heat to low; cook 5 hours longer or until beans are tender.
- 3. Remove meat, shred with two forks and return to slow cooker. With a slotted spoon, serve meat mixture over corn chips or in tortillas; serve with toppings of your choice. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 1,000 calories, 19 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 1,383 mg sodium, 131 g carbohydrate, 32 g fiber, 55 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.