- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 to 4 pounds), halved
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Dash pepper
- 2 packages (10-1/2 ounces each) corn tortilla chips or 30 flour tortillas (10 inches)
- Chopped green onions, sliced ripe olives, chopped tomatoes, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and/or shredded lettuce
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Place roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a bowl, combine the beans, tomatoes, carrots, celery, water, chilies, chili powder, garlic, cumin, oregano and pepper. Pour over roast. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours. Reduce heat to low; cook 5 hours longer or until beans are tender.
- Remove meat, shred with two forks and return to slow cooker. With a slotted spoon, serve meat mixture over corn chips or in tortillas; serve with toppings of your choice. Yield: 10 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Pork and Pinto Beans
Sort By :
"I was looking forward to making this for my family. Unfortunately, this recipe was very disappointing. It needed a serious flavor boost, including salt. I recommend that water be replaced with salsa. Add some salt, too."
"I lightly salted the roast and added 1 small chopped onion to the mix for flavor. I also cut down the carrots and celery. flavor was good. We put on lettuce and ate with tortlla chips like the picture. No one raved about it, but the kids ate it. Next time I would use less chili powder and more cumin."
"My family liked this dish. I used it inside of chimichangas topped with fresh salsa, sour cream, and guacamole and it tasted very good."
"This is taste-less it needs salt. I ended up throwing this away."