Pork and Green Chili Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder butt roast, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-in. pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (16 ounces) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Sour cream, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, brown pork and onion in oil in batches. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. Stir in the potatoes, water, hominy, chilies, tapioca, garlic, oregano and cumin. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender, stirring in cilantro during the last 30 minutes of cooking. Serve with sour cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup (calculated without sour cream) equals 322 calories, 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 723 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Reviews for Pork and Green Chili Stew
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.