Pork and Green Chili Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder butt roast, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-in. pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (16 ounces) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Sour cream, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, brown pork and onion in oil in batches. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. Stir in the potatoes, water, hominy, chilies, tapioca, garlic, oregano and cumin. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender, stirring in cilantro during the last 30 minutes of cooking. Serve with sour cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup (calculated without sour cream) equals 322 calories, 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 723 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Reviews for Pork and Green Chili Stew
"Was very bland. I have other pork stews that are better."
"the whole family loved this version of posole, next time I'm adding more hominy! Also always use broth, instead of water"
"I doubled the recipe and added 2 TBS of Cumin and Mexican oregano and got raves. The only thing that was a bit off putting is the color of the stew. Once people got over the color and tasted the stew it went very quickly."
"I have made this recipe many, many times. Instead of the water, use chicken broth. I also double the amount of cumin and substitute corn for the hominy."
"My Recipe was modified when published. In the original I specify to use one can of mild chilies and one of hot. Two cans of hot if you like a real kick. The other modification was I use Tenderloin vs Butt."
"I made it as directed and tasted it when it was almost done and it was very bland. I ended up adding another 2 cans of green chiles and 4 chicken bouillon cubes. After adding those things it was perfect."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.