Pork and Green Chili Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder butt roast, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-in. pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (16 ounces) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Sour cream, optional
- In a large skillet, brown pork and onion in oil in batches. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in the potatoes, water, hominy, chilies, tapioca, garlic, oregano and cumin. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender, stirring in cilantro during the last 30 minutes of cooking. Serve with sour cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Pork and Green Chili Stew
Sort By :
the whole family loved this version of posole, next time I'm adding more hominy! Also always use broth, instead of water
I doubled the recipe and added 2 TBS of Cumin and Mexican oregano and got raves. The only thing that was a bit off putting is the color of the stew. Once people got over the color and tasted the stew it went very quickly.
I have made this recipe many, many times. Instead of the water, use chicken broth. I also double the amount of cumin and substitute corn for the hominy.
My Recipe was modified when published. In the original I specify to use one can of mild chilies and one of hot. Two cans of hot if you like a real kick. The other modification was I use Tenderloin vs Butt.
I made it as directed and tasted it when it was almost done and it was very bland. I ended up adding another 2 cans of green chiles and 4 chicken bouillon cubes. After adding those things it was perfect.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Stews >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >
- Pork Main Dishes >
- Pork Recipes >
- Pork Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Pork Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Pork Roast >
- Slow Cooker Pork Shoulder >