Pork and Fruit Kabobs Recipe
- 3/4 cup apricot nectar
- 6 tablespoons dry white wine or lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 pork tenderloin (1 pound), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cubed
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 16 dried apricots, halved
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Pour 1/2 cup marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add pork. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- 2. Meanwhile, place sweet potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water. Cover and bring to a boil. Cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes; drain well. Pour remaining marinade into another resealable plastic bag. Add potatoes and zucchini. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- 3. Drain pork and discard marinade. Drain vegetables, reserving marinade for basting. On eight metal or soaked wood skewers, alternately thread pork, potatoes, zucchini and apricots.
- 4. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 3 minutes, turning and basting with reserved marinade. Grill or broil 4-5 minutes longer or until meat run clear, turning and basting frequently with reserved marinade. Yield: 4 servings.
Two kabobs equal 354 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 69 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fruit.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.