Pork and Dumplings Recipe
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless rolled pork loin roast (about 3-1/2 pounds)
- BREAD DUMPLINGS:
- 8 day-old hard rolls, torn into small pieces
- 1-1/4 cups warm milk
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 quarts water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1. Combine the salt, garlic powder and pepper; rub over roast. Place roast fat side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160°.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine rolls and milk. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 3. Stir 1 cup flour and eggs into roll mixture. Shape into 2-in. balls. In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, bring 3 qts. of water to a boil. Add dumplings. Boil, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into a dumpling reads 160°. Remove to a serving dish with a slotted spoon; keep warm.
- 4. Remove roast to a serving platter; keep warm. Strain pan drippings. Add enough broth to drippings to measure 1-3/4 cups. Pour into a small saucepan. Place remaining flour in a bowl; stir in cold water until smooth. Gradually stir into broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast and dumplings. Yield: 8-10 servings (16 dumplings).
1 each: 437 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 168mg cholesterol, 719mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 41g protein.
Reviews for Pork and Dumplings
"I made this recipe earlier this month and it turned out really well. I doubled the amount of spices and added a teaspoon of powdered onion to the pork roast rub, then I laid a few bacon strips over the roast to compensate for it not having enough fat on top. The resultant pan drippings made a delicious gravy. My husband loved it, as did my sons. Also nice and easy were the dumplings, which were perfect with the pork roast and gravy. I'll be making this recipe for company in the future!"