- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add shortening, sugar, egg, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead for 6-8 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain. Add cabbage, onion, water, oregano, cumin, pepper and remaining salt. Cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender and no liquid remains. Cool to room temperature. Punch dough down. Roll into a 24-in. x 12-in. rectangle; cut into eight 6-in. squares. Spoon 1/3 cup filling into the center of each square. Bring corners to the center and pinch to seal; pinch seams together. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes. Brush with melted butter. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Pork and Cabbage Pockets in Country Pork 1996, p22
Reviews for Pork and Cabbage Pockets
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 18, 2009
"Use Rhodes Bread"